Sunday, January 11, 2015

19 things my teenage years taught me // Hello 20's



20 is a strange age number.
You are no longer a teen, but technically not an adult either.
At age 8, I never really thought about what I'd be like at the age of 20.
So I can't and am not disappointed in the person I've become.
I feel nostalgic about starting the 20's chapter in my life (I can only imagine what my mum feels.)

I look back at my teenage years and laugh, cry, and cringe.
19 things my teenage years taught me:
1. the boy/girl you have a crush on but doesn't know you exist won't matter.
2. everyone went through an 'awkward phase' that forever lives in a yearbook, except Beyonce.
3. it may seem like your parents are out to ruin your life,
but they're just looking out for you. Hang in there, you'll learn to get along with them.
4. try your best in school, join a club or sport team,
and apply for as many scholarships as you can.
5. popularity is irrelevant and those who think it's important probably wear Uggs.
6. it's okay to not have a big group of friends. All you need is one true friend. Or your dog.
7. wear what you want, do your hair the way you want, listen to the type of music you like and don't let other's comments about you change who you are.
8. read as many books as you can and become friends with the school librarian.
9. failing your math test or getting a bad grade on your English paper does not define who you are.
10. boyfriends/girlfriends are not a necessity.
11. if you do have a boyfriend/girlfriend, make sure he/she treats you like you deserve and don't let them take over your life or your dreams.
12. expand your horizons through books, movies, and people different than you or different than you're used to. Don't be afraid to try new things.
13. it's okay if you don't drink, smoke, or party. And it's okay if you do as long as you stay safe.
15. surround yourself with positive and supportive people.
16. exercise. You'll feel better about your inner and outer self.
17. be nice to everyone. Not because they'll probably get hot in the future but because nice is nice.
18.  you'll make mistakes and you'll learn from them.
19. you don't need to know who you are or what career path you want right now.


I'm still a kid at heart and I think I'll always be.
There are so many things I haven't yet done.
People I haven't yet met. Places I haven't yet seen.
I'm taking it in one moment at a time.
I'm trying my best to discover and understand myself and the world.
My mum has always told me "En la vida hay tiempo para todo."
"In life there is time for everything."
And she's right.
Hello 20's.

xxL
     

No comments:

Post a Comment