Wednesday, June 10, 2015

my summer reading list













           





So since its nearly summer and I've got a handful of books I've been wanting to read, I'll be sharing my summer reading list with you guys!

In Malice, Quite Close 
by Brandi Lynn Ryder
This is the book I'm currently reading. I'm halfway through with it. A young girl named Karen is manipulated and swooned by foreign art collector, Tristan. He is completely obsessed with her. Tristan has a vision of what he wants Karen to look and act like, and he's willing to do anything to make her his own masterpiece. I don't want to spoil it, so let's just leave it at this: if this was made into a movie, I'd so go watch it.
" I became a constant companion to her wanderings. In the mornings I met her school bus, endured the hours in mindless torpor till the clock struck three and I could seek her after school. On the fifth day, I gained the nerve to approach her home, at that time when dusk falls but people do not realize they can be seen in their well-lit kitchens and living rooms." (Ryder, Brandi Lynn. In Malice, Quite Close. Viking, 2011.)
Looking for Alaska by John Green
Its John Green. What could I possibly expect from this book? Finely worded description of a girl's beauty, bittersweet tragedy, and maybe a little teardrop at the end when I finish the book. (I'll give ya'll an update on this.)
Here's an excerpt from Looking for Alaska
"And now is as good a time as any to say that she was beautiful. In the dark beside me, she smelled of sweat and sunshine and vanilla, and on that thin-mooned night I could see little more than her silhouette except for when she smoked, when the burning cherry of the cigarette washed her face in pale red light. But even in the dark, I could see her eyes---fierce emeralds. She had the kind of eyes that predisposed you to supporting her every endeavor." (Green, John. Looking for Alaska. Penguin, 2005.
¡Ask a Mexican! by Gustavo Arellano
I actually had the amazing opportunity to meet Gustavo Arellano! Gustavo was a speaker at a Latino leadership trip I was invited to. And he personally signed every copy of ¡Ask a Mexican! which was gifted to every student that attended. Cool, I know. ¡Ask a Mexican! is a compilation of questions from gabachos that are answered by Gustavo himself. Although some of the questions are ignorant, Gustavo answers them in such a genuine way and backs himself up with history and throws in a little sass. Ha! The guy's the real deal.
" It seems that every Mexican infant girl I see has had her ears pierced (...) The nurses must be poised and ready with a needle the second the baby pops out. Is there some cultural significance?
                                                                                                              Bubba
Dear Gabacho: Piercing a girl's ears from birth dates to the days when Mexican women were little more than chattel. Patriarchs provided the women in their clans with fancy earrings so the rest of society knew of the family's wealth." (Arellano, Gustavo. Ask a Mexican. Simon and Schuster, 2008.

Let me know if you'll read or have read any of these books and what your thoughts are on it. What books do you recommend? What's on your summer reading list?

xxL

No comments:

Post a Comment