Sunday, September 20, 2015

Cruelty Free Make-Up (making the switch + product review)


I have made the change to cruelty free make-up!
It began one morning when I was doing my daily make-up routine that I thought "I wonder if my foundation is cruelty free." It wasn't. I searched through all my make-up (which isn't much) to see if I had any that was cruelty free; only three products were.

Animal testing is an issue I care about. When it comes to animal testing for cosmetics, I believe that beauty can be achieved without hurting other creatures along the way. Year round, 200,000 animals suffer and die in laboratories due to cosmetics testing. (Humane Society InternationalAll beauty has an ugly side.
Then it hit me: how can I do nothing about something I care about?
This is where the cruelty free make-up search began. Something very important I learned while doing my research on make-up companies is that some brands don't directly test their products on animals, but they allow or ask other companies to do the testing for them. Those brands are equally as bad as the brands that test directly.

The following are drugstore make-up brands that I've tried out. [Think of this as a make-up review kinda thing.] I usually go for the natural make-up look and I am not one to spend big money on fancy brushes and the latest palettes, so I'd be silly of me to buy from expensive brands if it doesn't feel like me.

Wet n Wild Max Volume Plus Mascara
Wet n Wild megalength Mascara
Both these mascaras get the job done. My eyelashes are small and not thick so they don't require too much work. The Max Volume Plus Mascara elongates my top lashes enough for it to look like I have lashes lol. I use the megalength mascara for my bottom lashes because the wand is thin and won't leave a mess.

Wet n Wild Ultimate Match Foundation
This foundation is very lightweight, which is super important to me when it comes to foundation, but to be honest, I don't love this product. It makes my face look oily and the coverage isn't super amazing. All I can say is that you get what you pay for. The search for a foundation continues! (Recommendations always welcome in the comments below or on my social media!)

Milani Baked Bronzer (04 Glow)
I use this as a blush and I love it! Its so shimmery and it gives me an instant glow. I feel like a sun kissed goddess. The product comes with a mirror and a brush for the application, which is pretty cool.

Jordana Eyeliner
I rarely wear eyeliner. I mostly just use it for special occasions. But I really like this one for three reasons: 1) it doesn't smudge so no looking like a raccoon here 2) it stays on for a pretty long time and I don't worry about reapplying 3) jet black looks so good.

elf Eyebrow Kit
I wasn't looking to purchase an eyebrow pencil or kit. My eyebrows are low maintenance, thankfully. But then I heard my friends saying great things about their eyebrow kits and all I was thinking was "Please let it be from a cruelty free brand." And it was! And I love it! It consists of a gel to shape and fill in and a powder to finish the work of art that is the eyebrows.

And that, my friends, is the rundown on my switch to cruelty free make-up and the products I've been using. I feel much better about the things I put on my face now because I know that animals have not been hurt in the process and creation of these products.
You can search for cruelty free products by using PETAs searchable database here!

xxL

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for making a post like this! I've been looking into cruelty free make up but I wasn't sure which brands I should look into! I already have the ELF brow kit so I suppose I'm stepping in the right direction~ Great post!! :)


    If you would check out my blog, I would greatly appreciate it! ♥

    http://www.vyvysaur.blogspot.com

    - Judy/Vy ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I wish you luck finding what brands work for you!

      And I'll for sure check out your blog :)


      - Lucy Mosqueda

      Delete