indie pop queens


photo credit: nina lorenz 
Halsey
With her first album, Badlands, set to be released in August, the best of Halsey is yet to come. However, the singer-songwriter has already accomplished what many artists dream of. Within the last year, Halsey signed with a major record label, went on her own headlining tour, and she is currently the supporting act for Imagine Dragons on their Smoke and Mirrors tour. Amazing right?! Halsey's music is so honest and deep. When I first heard her EP, Room 93, I was taken away to what feels like her own world. And trust me, once you're there you won't want to leave.

photo credit: sophielions
Melanie Martinez
Perhaps my favorite artist to be discovered on any season of The Voice. Ever. Melanie's mesmerizing voice and unique style captivated me from the start. (Just watch her audition with Toxic by Britney Spears!) After the show, Melanie began working on her music and was quickly signed to a label. Her EP, Dollhouse, was released last year and her first album titled Cry Baby will be released mid-August. Melanie's musical creations are made up of twisted yet compelling lyrics and sick beats. And her music videos...oh gosh. They're like an American Horror Story episode. Its impossible to confuse her artistry with any one else's.

photo credit: tim toda 
Hayley Kiyoko
Remember Lemonade Mouth from Disney channel? Okay, remember that bad ass rebellious character from it? I had no idea what had become of Hayley Kiyoko but oh gosh am I glad I know now. Since her Disney child star days, Hayley has made appearances on several Disney channel shows as well as starred on CSI: Cyber and Insidious: Chapter 3, but what stands out to me is her music. Her most recent work, EP This Side of Paradise, is a cross between 80s pop and EDM and its basically all I've been blessing my ears with lately. What has currently put Hayley on the spot is her music video for her song "Girls Like Girls." I rather you guys check it out for yourselves but know this, in a little over a month it has already gotten 4 million views on YouTube! I'm telling you guys, she is changing the game.

Halsey, Melanie, and Hayley are the new wave of self expression. And with the new movement comes changing the way female artists are viewed in the music industry. Not only do they tell it like it is, but they do so in a way that makes listeners feel that everything will be okay. They are empowering the youth through song so that they can be themselves and use their voice to stand up to those who may not like that. I'm so here for this.

xx L

ps. also, how freaking gorgeous are they?! *heart eyes emoji*

pps. big thank you to the photographers for allowing me to use their amazing pictures!

Comments

Popular Posts